Saturday 23 March 2013

Wrist Fusion Surgery - A Year On...

I've been meaning to do my 'a year on' update for a while now, apologies for the tardiness!

I can 100% say having this op was a fantastic decision, my life has completely changed, firstly and most importantly is pain, I'm pain free in my wrist now which is amazing! I can do more now than i could before the op because it doesn't hurt. The only time I've felt any pain since was when i went for a routine arthritis check up and she pressed it really hard, it made my eyes water slightly! 

The only thing that's a bit strange is if you want to pick something up off a flat surface, usually you just do things like that on auto pilot but i have to think about how I'm going to negotiate getting around the fact i cant bend my wrist anymore! but its very much something I'm willing to put up with. 

Movement wise i have almost full rotation back (turning my hand over and back) and full finger movements. I have a slight numbness still on my baby finger knuckle but that is just from where they cut though the little nerve endings, they said this could happen and I'm quite pleased its only a small patch.

Aesthetically my big scar is lovely, i have a circle scar from where the k-wire was in and another small scar from the drain, and although my hand looks a bit wonky only i notice it when I've been staring at it for a while! my arm and wrist area still haven't regained the muscle i lost while out of action so i have a skinny arm, although i am back to lifting flat pack furniture around at work!


This is the rod in in my wrist, you can also see where they cut the ulna head off.


 This is my wrist now

This is the before shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment