Thursday 8 September 2011

Wrist Fusion - 6 Weeks On

It's now 6 weeks on from my wrist fusion surgery, I went to the hospital again today and had my cast cut off. Then i went to x-ray which the doctor said looked good and as it should, then came the moment i was dreading (after watching a scary youtube video)....having my k-wire pulled out. The doc got some crazy plier type tool and yanked until it broke free. Apparently it was a good thing that it was difficult to remove as it means my bones were growing well :-) 
I was then back on my way to therapy for a removable splint and some exercises. I'm allowed to start doing a lot more with it now like driving and holding my toast as i butter it! but obviously no lifting flat packs or weights yet.


I'm really happy with how the whole process has gone and am very pleased with the result. It may look weird, restrict me, and be a long full recovery process, but just to have no pain is an incredible feeling. Don't get me wrong, its been a bit sore and achey but nothing compared to before, and the aches will get less and less as it heals and becomes stronger. I'm also excited at my future, i may not be able to do as much as i could way before it got bad, but it will give me a bit of life back and freedom to start new things.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read. I am 3 weeks post op and have had a big white cast on for 3 weeks with bits of bloody gauze visible inside. I am looking forward to seeing the wound and stitches.

    The initial bruising was spectacular. May blog mine also but not sure yet

    Yours sounds like it went well
    @anetto

    ReplyDelete